Monday, October 12, 2009

The secret for any business to be successful

Lou Herbert was the president of Zagrum Company when it first opened for business. Lou was a hard nosed character that had to have things done his way or it didn't get done. He had a very powerful and intimidating presence among his coworkers. Even those high executives in the company feared him. The business had the talent and potential from the leaders it contained but the problem was they weren't able to use those talents. Lou wouldn't allow it. And in doing things his way and by his direction, many of these talented individuals went on to succeed at other companies. Lou was in the box.
Leadership and Self-Deception is a powerful book that illustrates the importance of seeing things how they really are and how visualizing things with a closed perspective is really dangerous to any kind of growth. The book is based on actual experiences that took place in a work environment with fictitious names. It details how people in everyday life are stuck in their own box and making life more difficult for not only themselves, but also those that surround that person.
Tom Callum is a new manager hired on at Zagrum. As a new manager, he is given a lot of responsibility over those under his command. Bud Jefferson, the executive vice president, is very careful about the leadership traits of his managers and thus meets with his new managers after a month or so with the company. Kate Stenarude is the president of the company and possesses the same training enthusiasm as Bud does. Bud and Kate, with later the help of Lou, teach Tom the importance of getting out of the box and succeeded in not only his business career, but also in life.
The message of the book emphasizes a few important ideas in order for people to see people as people. The idea of being in the box begins when people see other people as objects. The premise of the book starts with Tom being hired as a manager in a well respected company. He learns that Bud and Kate want to change his management style. As the lessons go on, Tom realizes that self-deception is a problem with every person that he can think of, including himself. Self-deception is the ability to see that one has a problem but that person resists the suggestion that he/she has a problem. This self-deception then turns into self-betrayal which causes a person to enter in the box. There are some interesting principles about self-betrayal. They are listed here: 1) An act contrary to what I feel I should do for another is called "self-betrayal.", 2) When I betray myself, I begin to see the world in a way that justifies my self-betrayal, 3) When I see a self-justifying world, my view of reality becomes distorted, 4) So-when I betray myself, I enter the box, 5) Over time, certain boxes become characteristics of me, and I carry them with me, 6) By being in the box, I provoke others to be in the box, 7) In the box, we invite mutual mistreatment and obtain mutual justification. We collude in giving each other reason to stay in the box. These all cause selfish feelings that prohibit growth between individuals.
Tom later learns that trying to get out of the box isn't as easy as it may appear. While in the box, things that seem like they would don't actually lead a person to where he/she might want to go. These things are 1) trying to change others, 2) doing my best to "cope" with others, 3) leaving, 4) communicating, 5) implementing new skills or techniques, and 6) changing my behavior. This may seem strange that they don't work. The only way that does work is to cease resisting other people and treating people as people, not objects.
I have read some good books on leadership and books to enhance managerial skills, but this is the best one that I have read so far. It is easy to read and teaches some deep principles for anybody wanting to be a true leader.
Michael Stapley, President and CEO, DMBA said, " The leadership principles in this book have had a greater impact on the quality of leadership in our company than anything we have ever implemented. They have been extraordinarily important in helping make our company a great place to work while at the same time helping us focus on results and increase productivity as never before."

The Arbinger Institute. (2002). Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting out of the Box. San Francisco, CA:Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.

9 comments:

Slovette said...

I like how you describe the book, the way you take about the character is vey unquie and makes me waht to follow and read the book. the leadership is measured on talent I like that. I like how the leadership is focused on quality rather then quanity

Eric said...

Your post was interesting to read, I liked how the example from the book are all based on a real work environment. I also liked the quote you ended with, great job.

AmandaG. said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I liked the way you started the review with a story; it was a great way to catch the reader's attention and get them interested. I think you did a very good job giving us a summary of what the book is about, as well as giving us your opinion about it. I think the concept of "the box" is very interesting because it makes a lot of sense. A lot of people are self centered, they have their views and opinions and they do not care what anyone else thinks. I can definitely see how managers coming out of their box can help create a better company because it would open up their eyes and make them more understanding.

Amanda Taylor said...

This book sounds very interesting and reminds me of a situation that can happen with any president or manager. When you are at the top you want things to be done the way you do them and it seems like it is harder for these people to be open to new ideas. I liked how the book was based on a real story and talks about the problems that happen in the work force today. The quote at the end really tied into everything that you had previously mentioned. Good job!

Celia said...

I really enjoyed reading your book review. The way you started the review made me feel interested in the reading. I think the way you explained the content of the book was very clear and easy to understand. I think this is a great book to read. I also liked that it is based on real people’s experiences that took place in the work environment. I think you did a great job.

Jamie Barnas said...

Joe,
Very well written blog, the book sounds interesting and full of important information that can be related to class. I also liked how you included examples from the book, it gives the book a more tangible feel.

Amanda Allard said...

I fully agree with their enthusiasm of getting out of the box. I feel that a lot of companies these days are afraid of change and are therefore missing out on opportunities to grow. It's great to see a book that shows it's ok to venture away from what you're used to and that things don't always turn out bad when you do.

Jessica said...

I really like your blog. This book sounds really interesting. I have worked with people before who suffer from self-deception. I think it is a key point to remember to treat people as people and not as objects. I have noticed that this is a big problem in the business industry. Nice job!

Maxx said...

Really good blog Joe! I like how the book was a story as well as a management philosophy.