Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nature, Art and Culture

I remember times when I was growing up watching movies of the old west. I remember watching Quigley Down Under, Maverick, John Wayne movies, etc. My father was a huge fan of westerns and his father was as well because I remember seeing paintings of old cowboys sitting on a stool looking to their left or having a beer. I also remember my grandfather having little statues of cowboys too. So I guess it was only a matter of time that I would pick it up. I didn't totally get into the cowboys but I found that I have a love for the desert and the old west setting. I loved watching movies like Young Guns and Tombstone and Desperado and even the new Mask of Zorro. And who could forget about the 3 amigos? So anything that had to do with the desert I fell in love with. It's something about the cactus and rattlesnakes and other desert life that fascinates me!! So growing up when I think of nature most of the time the desert is what comes to mind. When I got into junior high and high school, I still had a love for the desert but found myself loving the ocean scene more and more. Something about the deep blue catches my attention and makes me want to be a part of it. And now I just see myself enjoying all of it because each part of nature has a different importance and I like adventures and new explorations so I end up out in nature more often than I give myself credit for. But as a youth, I would say that I was more partial to the desert setting.
I believe that art and culture can truly change a perspective if a person is able to catch it. Some things are so humbling and they seem to catch you almost off-guard. It's like that oceanic feeling that Freud talks about. You realize that creations on earth are so massive sometimes that it really puts a deeper perspective on life. As for art, I think it can if the respective person allows it to. Some people fight it but as we grow older and understand more about life, I think most people end up enjoying art in its different forms. Not necessarily pictures, but music and paintings and other art forms that connect with that individual. Culture also plays a role of how nature can be viewed by how different people treat the land and their perspectives on it.

No comments: